Braces for Teens in East Orlando, FL
At Dr. Ross Taddeo Orthodontics, we take pride in helping our patients achieve beautiful, healthy smiles that last them a lifetime. Dr. Taddeo and our highly trained team of orthodontic specialists work hard to treat every patient individually, crafting personalized treatment plans that perfectly suit each patient's unique needs and lifestyle. While we also offer early orthodontics and adult treatment, most of our patients are adolescents - and there's good reason for that.
Why Teens Get Braces
Braces have become something of a rite of passage for teenagers, but it turns out the frequency of adolescent treatment is about more than just tradition. Adolescence offers a unique window for orthodontic treatment. At this age, the baby teeth have usually all been lost and the permanent teeth have grown in. At the same time, the higher metabolism and frequent growth spurts of teenagers let us move the teeth faster, which gives us a unique advantage when treating at this age. Later on, once the teeth and bones of the face and jaw have developed and set in fully, moving teeth isn't quite as easy.
The Process of Orthodontic Treatment
Treatment is different for every patient, but most patients' treatment process goes something like this. When you first come into the office, we'll perform a detailed orthodontic examination and take measurements, pictures, and x-rays of your mouth, and we may also make a model of your bite. We'll use this data to make a diagnosis on your orthodontic situation, then we'll recommend a treatment plan that will get you to a beautiful, healthy smile. We offer a variety of treatments, and depending on your situation we may recommend any of the following:
- Metal Braces: These are what most people think of when they hear the word "braces." You'll be happy to know that modern braces are thinner, more comfortable, and more aesthetically appealing than ever - and we can even customize the color of the elastic ties, giving you your own unique set of braces!
- Clear Braces: These use the same basic principles as braces, but the brackets are made from a clear ceramic material instead of metal. This makes them much less noticeable, but they do cost a bit more than regular braces.
- Invisalign: Invisalign does away with brackets and wires altogether, relying on a series of clear, removable aligners to straighten teeth. They're virtually invisible and easy to take in and out to eat, drink, brush, or floss. This means almost no one will know you're straightening teeth, you can still enjoy all your favorite foods, and maintaining oral hygiene is a breeze - three big advantages for busy, socially-minded teens!
- Lingual Braces: Lingual braces are basically the same as metal braces, but they're truly invisible - because they're mounted to the inside (tongue side) of the teeth! They're a completely invisible solution, but they cost more and do take some getting used to.
- Other Appliances: We may also recommend a variety of other orthodontic appliances, ranging anywhere from small devices that fit inside the mouth to external headgear. Don't worry, though - the devices are temporary, but the beautiful new smile you'll get at the end will last your whole life long.
How Long Does Treatment Take?
Again, this is different for everyone and depends on your own unique situation and what malocclusions you have. In general, though, you can expect to wear your braces anywhere from 6 to 30 months. After that, you'll wear a retainer - and once you're finished, you'll have a new smile that'll last a lifetime!
Contact Your East Orlando, FL Orthodontist
If you'd like to learn more about adolescent treatment or want to schedule a consultation for you or a loved one, we're happy to help. You can reach out to us at our contact page or call us at 407-482-3700 with any questions, or if you'd like to schedule an appointment, feel free to do so using our online form. We can't wait to hear from you, and we look forward to helping you achieve the beautiful, healthy smile you deserve!